Monday, July 18, 2011

Jewel has taught us all

7/18/10 Monday
I have been busy with my children, specifically my teenagers since they have found their wings.
I have chosen to spend more time watching over them in this their new season versus doing consistent blog entries.
Yesterday I had a moment of reflection and realized that I could not possibly just write about Jewel with out including the whole family and then so many more who have joined out path, even if it is just for a brief while.  No one is an island and we all rely on each other and need each other weather we are abled bodied or not.  I have been spending more time reflecting on therapy sessions, new techniques, blessings and just the health of my family.  There have been many magical moments since I last blogged on the thirteenth.  This made me think about the journey we have been on since I became pregnant with Jewel and her twin.  In the beginning it was a tough life or death from one moment to another journey.  We have moved so far from that point since Jewel's ten years of life.  Sometimes I still go back there in my thinking, a certain fight or flight takes over me.  I need to reprogram my thoughts to live in the present and realize that Jewel is doing great!  I have given too much power to my fears and now I am taking it back.  Jewel is in a great place, she is health, happy and making gains daily.  She is grasping the process of relaxation and the power therein.  Each time she needs to relax and take a deep breath, she is getting there faster because of her practice.   We have not been able to go riding since Cookie Dough is recovering slowly, I am feeling okay about this because I am trusting that we are on the right path and that Jewel's needs as a whole person are being met.  Mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally, she is getting her needs met.  This weekend we spent a lot of time with friends relaxing and eating and connecting.  Jewel got to go into the water and relax, she is learning about what relaxes her.  Grace, Jewel's service dog help relax her just by being around her and being in the water relaxes her as well.  Jewel got to play tag in the water with her friend John and she had a blast!  Friendships are such a gift and a necessity for the soul, just as laughter and music is.  Jewel is mastering her blow toys and lip closure and she understands the 'why' of the exercises.  She is able to blow air out with more clarity and power as each practice  is certain to bring.  Just last thursday she was talking with such clarity.  The power that the breath and relaxation bring is a voice that has volume and is audible.   Buck brought a lovely gift for Jewel, he made a stainless steel cut out cup for Jewel and brought a dragon book for us to read to her.  Thank you Buck, you are a good Uncle.  That is the beauty of living in Hawaii, the elders in you world become Uncle and Aunty, even though they are not related to you by blood but  buy the tradition of the culture and the love that is perpetuated by the spirit of Aloha.  Each day I am realizing how much all my children are a gift, each in their own unique being.  We help grow each other and we bring out the best in each other.  I am seeing how much Jewel has taught us all and all the doors that we have gone through and the magical paths we have gone down because of her.  Jewel is teaching us to look beyond the outer shell of the person and to keep looking deeper, to laugh, to be happy, to believe in happiness, to never give up, to keep practicing, to keep looking/knocking/searching/trying, ... We are meeting the nicest people in the world because of Jewel, thank you Jewel.

No comments:

Post a Comment