Monday, September 12, 2011

documentary, A Certain Proof - a question of worth

9/12/11 Monday
Aloha
Daily I have taken to research the face book pages that have been put together by organizations and families designed for the 'special needs community'.  I do not like to separate myself from other families by saying we are 'special needs' because I believe at the heart and core we are all the same and as families our needs are the same.  We just have to see outside of the box we have labeled ourselves into.
A family with a child who is on the path to being a prima ballerina is on a journey that becomes specialized just like having a child who is differently abled.  Same but different.
This morning I found this documentary and viewed its trailer;
www.certainproof.com
I hope that you are able to view this trailer in your hometown, I have e-mailed Footpath pictures to see if they will be doing a screening on Maui, info@footpathpictures.com
Their documentaries are designed to make a difference.

Are we worth any less because of our inability to walk or talk?
Are we worth more because we are beautiful or have nice things?
It is far too easy for me to say that we are all of worth no mater our race, creed, income, education, talent, and ability.  For in our daily lives we automatically catalog and separate the outside world in our brains with out even thinking about it.  We all have prejudices but through exposure, education and relationships we can build a better understanding of the breadth, depth, and scope that worth really is.

When Jewel was not developing as her sisters had I did not understand or know what to do.
I thought she was broken, and I cried a lot because I felt so helpless.
Daily she has and is teaching our family about worth and the gift of life, sacrifice, struggle and joy.
We are learning more about ourselves through her limitations.
We have to see beyond the 'box' of limits the world has put on human life, we have to tear down the labels and make our own definitions because the burden of proof is a celebration of our lives as we live together striving always to be love.

No comments:

Post a Comment