Tuesday, September 20, 2011

the Zaky pillow calming hand

9/20/11 Tuesday
Have you heard of the Zaky hand?
It is more than a pillow an amazing hand with healing results.


http://www.nurturedbydesign.com/en/thezaky/parents-healthy.php

I just remembered about the Zaky hand when I was researching a couple of days ago.
I am looking to purchase a used Velva Soft pressure weighted vest sized Small.
Then I remembered about the Zaky hand, it has an amazing history, design with so many helpful results in the neonatal care unit and with babies in general.  I want to get a used one for Jewel, new from the site is spare change short of $100 and can be purchased on Amazon for much less.
It has clinical studies and evidence based that this hand calms the child, helps reduce Apneas/bradycardia, promotes brain development with deeper sleep, aids with self temperature regulation, children cry less, feel safer, helps with correct positioning when the child is sleeping or in a car seat, and much more.
It is designed by a parent which makes it perfect in my eyes.
My friend had one given to her baby in the NICU at Kapi'olani hospital a few years back and she said it worked.  She would keep the hand on her to pick up her scent and then leave it on her son when she went to go  pump her milk :) nice hey!  Hospitals can opt to have the Zaky hand in their NICU and full term nurseries.
I have Jewel sleeping with me and most of the night she is on one of my arms and I thought I may just try get a used Zaky hand to see if this will help her and give my arm a rest, at least for part of the night.
The hands come in different colors and are filled with some sort of safe beans that will not smother the child.  Go check it out, they even have the Kangaroo Zaky for home and hospital Kangaroo Care!  Awesome!!  And for you crafty people out there who can not afford the prices of this hand you should look into making your own!  I do not know what you can fill it with but buck wheat comes to mind, they have great buck wheat pillows out there that people use, they stay cool all night and have some weight to them.  I may try this myself.  We all need a helping hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment