Tuesday, March 1, 2011

To be or not to be Filmed

3/1/2011 Tuesday,
I am grateful for so much; our lives, our family and every other detail.
I am so grateful for our three children, what a gift and blessing they are!
With this said, there is a burden of responsibility that comes with being a parent.
Like taking an oath to do no harm and protect always.
Encourage, nurture and cheer on!
There is an accountability of checks and balances, always checking to see what they are up, teaching and training, feeding and clothing.
Recently had the possible opportunity to tell Jewel's story through a video documentary. I guess it would be just a part of her story since she is still so young. I never realized how many bases I would have to cover, question and protect. What was her story? What was our intention, purpose and mission statement? What would we be willing to show and not willing to show. How many days and hours a day would we allow our children to be filmed.
The final vote was from my gut and it did not sit well with the intent and purpose of those in charge. I did not feel that my family would be safe and I felt that Jewel's story would be manipulated to justify their means. So I honored my gut feeling and pulled the plug on the project. If a documentary is meant to be made, the opportunity will be presented or made. We shall proceed with integrity and truth and light. The doc. will be done professionally or not at all. And as my dearest friend Kathleen said; "Jeweliana is not a cause!" You are correct Kathleen! And as Makena so eloquently put, Jewel is a whole and complete complex person, not an anonymous cold label!
There was so much pressure to do the film, to consent to a complete open door , no contract, no mission statement....you get the drift. No is a lovely word, do not be afraid to use it to protect your children, no matter the outside pressure. I must say that Jewel's O/T was amazing, very real help during this process and unconditionally supportive. Thank you Crystal! Thank you to all the workers/therapists who support Jewel and her family unconditionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment