Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Each one of us has our task for today

3/8/11 Tuesday

You got Mail!
I love that sound, I love receiving and writing letters.
Today we got a nice surprise and heard from Sophie, from the book Daughter by Mark Stewart-Jones! This is the part of technology that I love; when it brings people together.
So I didn't actually receive a letter but an e-mail :)

Jewel has bright dark blue toe nails, seems the girls painted their toes and fingernails yesterday.

We had an amazing day today. Jewel got to get her massage and Jimmy worked on her neck and worked on other needed areas as well. He is very respectful of her tolerance and never forces anything. These sessions always help with bm(bowel movements). Having a child who is not ambulatory makes for constipation issues.
Diet and environment are important to aiding this issue.
Thank you Jimmy, he has worked on Jewel since Nov. 10 and refuses to take payment.

Our O/T session with Crystal was nothing short of amazing as usual. We used a full length mirror during the session, this helps Jewel see correct body position and besides which girl does not enjoy looking at herself! Crystal requested the dollies be put away since they were too exciting for Jewel and her tone kicked in to where no therapy or functional movements were possible. We used the two mermaid barbies instead, and Grace was side by side through out the session. Jewel told Crystal to"go away", and Crystal just continues with the session, she always jokes with Jewel, keeping the tone positive. Once again we observed that Jewel does better working through out the hour session, when we give her a break she loses that momentum and energy and gets whinny. We put the harness on Grace at the end of the session and she looked so proud in her uniform. She is trained to stand and the command is "Brace", the weight is only put on her harness handle, this is distributed directly over her shoulder blades. Jewel does not apply much pressure to Grace, and the whole exercise is exhausting for both Jewel and her O/T. Service dogs love working and become an integral part of the family.

Jewel thanked me again today for her dolly umbrella, she is looking forward to it arriving in the mail.

"Never parent out of guilt", I remember Tina telling me this endless summers ago.
I had completely no idea what that statement meant.
Time and life has a way of showing us these simple yet profound truths.
Sometimes I feel torn, I have three daughters and am I doing right by all of them, am I meeting their individual needs, am I supporting their talents and dreams, am I cheering them on, am I available for them when they need me.??????   All the girls took violin for years, Jewel included, this was my gift to them for all they do for Jewel and us as a family. Then came the day I just couldn't afford more lessons and they stopped the violin. I miss hearing them practice and it is what it is, and my love for them never diminishes. I love them all with my whole heart!
I parent less out of guilt.
We have always helped Jewel as a family and each one of us has our task that we execute with her. Some of it is toilet help, some specific to speech homework, horse therapy etc. The girls and I have almost been to every therapy session, this helps us care for her during the absence of the therapist, this makes us Team Jewel! It is all good and a worthy lifestyle. We love each other, this is our life and we are grateful.

Makena just got home and let me know that the DVD; Including Samuel is not in the Hawaii library system, so she is getting the librarian to order it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment