Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Antibiotics and hippo-therapy

4/24/11 Monday
I made the decision for Jewel to go to the doctor to get antibiotics.
Her phlegm is draining thick and bright, which is a sign of an infection, bacteria most likely.
We have tried to kick this naturally but it came back with vengeance.
Makena remembered that we were at the doctors for antibiotics same time last year.
I tried to get an appointment in the area where we live but because of her type of insurance no one would take us here, so up the hill we went.  It was that or the hospital and the hospital is filthy, to be avoided at all costs.
Our doctor up the hill is sweet and close to 91years old, no kidding.
He gave her amoxicillin, seven day oral liquid course.
I picked up some mucinex to break up the phlegm.
I hate getting antibiotics but my mother's instincts tell me it is best to do it.
Doctor signed off on Jewel's camp forms so it was a two for one trip :)

Our last hippo therapy session with Crystal our O/T,  Jewel and Cookie Dough.
To put words to the session would be impossible because it was a heavenly experience.
Cookie Dough the old horse did well, and what a team Crystal and Jewel were, riding as if they were just a couple of cowgirls, which I guess they are!   Makena filmed most of the session and she will post when time allows.
Raven rode with Jewel as well and what an amazing sight!
I had to stop it after the old guy started tripping and stumbling, my anxiety gets to large, and I am sure the horse picks up on it.  I believe in him but when he stumbles I have a hard time carrying on.  During the session, I am a side walker ready to help or take Jewel at any given second, I can not look at what Jewel is doing but I just concentrate on breathing, staying calm and watching the horse's front hooves move.  I am focused on the horse, his ears, his hooves, his body language and if he needs a break or is stumbling, I call for a break and stop the ride.  I give him a lot of verbal accolades, acknowledging and encouraging him.  He is a smart and kind retired cowboy's horse.  He listens to Jewel and is aware of her at all times.
Jewel was exhausted but finished the sessions with a solo ride, pushing off the horses rear, riding backwards rear facing.  We clocked in at 40min for this horse hippo session!!  Whoop
Jewel needs to increase her stamina to be able to ride in the 4th of July rodeo procession!
Cookie Dough let Jewel pet his face, even when her fingers went towards his eyes he shut his eye and stood still so she could love him.  Jewel love's Cookie Dough and will be the first to say, "good horse" and, "I love you Cookie Dough".
I am grateful that I have daughters who are tirelessly always there for their sister, and who are always ready to help.  Thank you Makena and Raven!  I am so thankful for all of Crystal's work with Jewel on and off the horse, she has been an angel in our lives.  One more O/T session and Crystal leaves Maui off to South Africa, we will miss her beyond words and tears.  She has blessed Jewel with her amazing gift of occupational therapy work!  Thank you to Kandi who lets us use her old horse Cookie Dough aka Billy and to Cindy who had the vision to take Jewel riding and set the wheels in motion.  Thank you Cookie Dough for being the noble horse that Jewel gets to ride and love, for you are truly the type of horse people write songs about!  May God bless and keep you all safe in His perfect care.  Mahalo Nui Loa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment