Saturday, April 23, 2011

Relationships

4/23/11  Thoughts on Relationships
The statistics show that parents with special needs children are doomed for failed relationships and marriages.  So with that said, I would like to encourage parents to break that statistic cycle.
The child with the special label tends to consume your time, energy, and resources, and dominate your focus just by the nature of the medical condition.  Communication is important, communication with out blame, shame, anger or judgement.  There are some couples out there who have a solid marriage, and they too have to sustain and nurture the relationship.
I have no advise.
But I know that my girlfriends are like sisters to me, encouraging me and helping me.  I need my girlfriendsthem.  They are there when I need prayer, a shoulder to cry on, someone to belly laugh with, some one who understands, does not judge or demand, unconditional love.
If you had a fragile relationship before the arrival of this child it will only be amplified.
Make time for you, so that you will have something to give back.  It is too easy to run on empty,  you need to fill your cup.  What ever that is, I encourage you to start small and start with something that is free or affordable and that makes you smile, something that touches you deep within.
Do something that you love, if you have forgotten what that is, make time to be quiet and remember.
A parent is a vessel that is on call day and night, honour yourself and make time for your self, even if it is brushing and flossing your teeth well, making time to invite your friend over for tea and laughter, a shower, what ever it is do it, start small, start today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment