Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daughter by Mark Stewart-Jones

I wholeheartedly recommend this book;
Daughter by Mark Stewart-Jones
You can special order it and Amazon books has it, so check it out!
The back cover reads "Whatever happens now, beyond these moments, whatever is lost, whatever may have been denied us, there are the two words that I will not let anyone take away from us. Ever. Father. Daughter. Sophie has cerebral palsy. She was born with no verbal communication, virtually no physical movement and, according to the 'experts', little or no chance of developing cognitive intelligence. yet, for Sophie's father- novelist and former journalist Mark Stewart-Jones -it is a new beginning, the start of a remarkable journey that will change his and Sophie's lives for ever." This book is not fictional and worth reading!

Sophie will be turning 21 this April 27, 2011.
Happy 21st Birthday Sophie! :-)
We wish you all the very best!!

Check out Sophie's website;
http://dreamsonpaper.com/page2.html
It has her Art work and some pieces are still for sale.
The renderings are amazing! I love you Art Sophie, you are talented and an inspiration!

It is important for me to read and learn more about other people's stories, their journeys teach us. I hate the medical sights on cerebral palsy because they dehumanize the person to just a label. I deal with the limits of cerebral palsy every day, yet I want Jewel to be free to dream with out boundaries. I want to scream at the medical economics machine, take it down as David took down Goliath. We are human and we need hope, we need to color any way we can, we need the stories of the brave individuals and their families who have trail blazed before us, so we can find our own courage to find our own paths. I have been labeled, 'systems resistant' and this is fine with me, because I am always looking for an alternative that is more humane, gentler to the drugs they offer to us. Give me Hope! This is where my faith has sustained me, my daughters have stood by me, my girlfriends have laughed with me and wiped my tears, and the champions like Sophie and her Dad have inspired me. If you have a child with cerebral palsy pick up this book in support of this lovely family, it also makes a good gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment