Saturday, April 2, 2011

Makena and Jewel

My mother says that I (Makena) always have funny posts on the blog. I am not sure if that is completely true, since I have been repeatedly told by my friends that I am not funny.
I think maybe I just share what Jewel does to make me smile. I have kept a journal since I was 13 years old, and often times I realize that when I am most happy in life, I write the least.
Sometimes when we try and keep our joy to ourselves, thinking that writing it down would change the experience. But I'm trying not to hide my joy, trying to share it instead. :)

A couple days ago I was doing my math and Jewel was laying beside me, I must have sighed, because the next thing I knew she asked me.
"What is wrong?"
"Nothing, the math problem is just hard." I told her, leaving out the fact that I absolutely hate math.
"Keep trying."
"Keep trying?" I asked Jewel, since she said 'trying' a little unclearly.
"Never give up." Jewel told me, clarifying her idea.
I just wanted to hug her and dance around. Her mind is so bright, and she really understands what is going on around her. Her spirit is so strong.

Yesterday we went to an appointment with Jeweliana's orthotic person (he makes her hip brace, and leg braces). Throughout the appointment, Jeweliana was sitting on Mom's lap with her hands relaxed and her toes not crunched up and tight. Usually her hands are balled up in fists and her legs always seem very tight and almost as if she is fighting herself. In the last couple weeks she has been sick, and so her spasms have increased, along with her tone. But even with her being sick and tight, i see an improvement with her hands and her feet relaxing. We have to know the truth about Jewel's progress, and not let others tell us lies, even if they are professionals.

Right now Jeweliana and I are watching a "growing pet" in a glass mason jar. I go it for Jewel at AWANA, since it was the store, even though she couldn't come, i knew it would brighten her day. The idea is that if you leave this egg in water for 12 hours the egg will crack, and in 48 hours the cracked egg will hatch into a dinosaur looking reptile. It has only been in the jar for 30 minutes, and her and I are already impatient. I'm not sure how we are going to wait 12 hours just for it to crack. But Jewel sure is excited to "watching the egg!" as she keeps on reminding me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment